Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Middle-aged Man Would Like to Learn How to Progra

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Middle-aged Man Would Like to Learn How to Program
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 15:53:58 +0000

   Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 18:28:08 -0500
   From: lfjr <address@hidden>

   Hello.  I would like to know if someone would please help me install
   the MIT version of Scheme, if possible.  Here is what I have tried and
   the results I obtained from my "Unix" OS (Darwin 7.9.0 - derived from
   BSD 4.4 Lite - under Mac OS 10.3.9).

Just FYI: I don't know whether Scheme will run on 10.3.9.  As far as I
know, nobody has tested it in a good four years since I stopped using
10.3.9, as far as I know, and there have been a lot of changes to
Scheme since then.

   I went to http://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/liarc-build.html and
   downloaded the portable C source package
   "mit-scheme-c-20090107.tar.gz."

The most recent release is 9.0.1, not 20090107; you can find it at
<http://www.mit-scheme.org/>.

   Now, at this point, for step three, I tried "etc/make-liarc.sh" but
   when this had problems, I stopped, deleted everything, began the whole
   process over until step three, and followed the advice in the pdf user
   manual that said to use "./configure."  This produced alot of
   activity, I must say, so I decided to continue but using the steps
   given in the pdf user manual.

Using etc/make-liarc.sh is correct; `./configure && make' will not
work to build the portable C distribution.  (The `Unix installation'
instructions in the user's manual are for installing the native-code
distribution, but there is no native-code distribution for PowerPC.)
Can you send me a typescript (off-list, if it's large) of running
etc/make-liarc.sh, if it still fails with 9.0.1?

(In case you don't know how:  You can make a typescript by typing
`script' at a shell, running the commands in the shell it spawns, and
then exiting that shell; you will be returned to your original shell,
and there will be a file called `typescript' in the current
directory.)