[MIT-Scheme-devel] pclsr

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] pclsr
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:09:45 -0700

> From: Taylor R Campbell <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:15:36 +0000
>
> If I (open-output-file "/an/sshfs/on/a/distant/host"), Scheme spins.
> This is frustrating.  (Edwin is still responsive, and I can still ^G
> my way out of it, but Scheme never opens the file.)
>
> [...]
>
> Any ideas?

Don't mount(2) remote resources.  Don't use FUSE.

Perhaps Gnome VFS?  The gvfs package description says "gvfs is a
userspace virtual filesystem where mount runs as a separate process
which you talk to via D-Bus."  Sounds like you will have to use their
GIO layer.

OR

We write an ssh client that does all the directory caching and whatnot
in sshfs, but in the modern, asynchronous way.  For extra trendiness,
we could support WebDAV.