Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] FFI and KyotoCabinet

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] FFI and KyotoCabinet
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 20:16:29 +0000

   Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:20:04 -0700
   From: address@hidden (Matt Birkholz)

    * src/README.txt: Add description to "miscellaneous extras".

    * src/Setup.sh: Add "gtk" to INSTALLED_SUBDIRS.  Create link in
    src/lib.

    * src/TAGS: Add gtk/TAGS.

    * src/configure.ac: Add AC_ARG_WITH, AC_CHECK_PROG, `pkg-config
    --exists gtk+-2.0', etc.

    * src/etc/create-makefiles.sh: Add "gtk" to BUNDLES.

    * src/etc/optiondb.scm: Add option 'Gtk.

    * src/gtk/Makefile-fragment: New, with many rules to compile and
    link gtk-const, gtk-shim.so, etc.

Hmm...  It would be nice if we could reduce rather than add to the
central build system.  For example, I'd like to be able to install
some sort of `MIT Scheme core', and then separately build and install
Xlib support, Gtk+ support, &c., if I so desire -- or even separately
build and install Edwin and LIAR.  It is pretty silly that we
currently just hook all applications and libraries directly into a
monolithic Scheme build.  But I guess I need to make the mythical
reasonable module system happen...