Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] MIT-Scheme 9.0.1 performance problem. (cont.)

From: Przemysław Soboń
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] MIT-Scheme 9.0.1 performance problem. (cont.)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 23:28:03 +0200

>   Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 16:32:04 +0200
>   From: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgU29ib8WE?= <address@hidden>
>
>   Is MIT-Scheme team planning to improve this area of the microcode?
>
> There's a better solution: compile your code.  It will run much faster
> compiled than the interpreter ever did even with the lookup cache.

Do you mean to compile a band file and use it later? If so I made some
measurements:
1. In the interpreter mode after adding a few thousands of symbols my
test loop was executed in 53 seconds.
2. If I compiled all the symbols and my test loop as band and executed
it the loop time dropped to 42 seconds.
3. In version 7.5.17 it was about 1.8 second.

If you didn't mean compiling a band please give me more information
about how to compile the code. Short example will be really helpful.

Just to present a picture how big problem the performance drop is for
me I can tell that I have over thousand of tests to be executed. The
time of execution of one test was about 1-2 minutes. Now it is about
one hour.

Thank you for hints,

Przemek