[MIT-Scheme-devel] hash-table/modify! and hash-table/intern!

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] hash-table/modify! and hash-table/intern!
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 18:09:41 +0000

Currently these usually look like:

   (hash-table/modify! hash-table key
     (lambda (datum)
         here goes
         a big, horrible
         hairy, gigantic
         expression
       ...)
     tiny)

   (hash-table/intern! hash-table key
     ;; Gotta cons a closure here.
     (lambda ()
       (make-foo key)))

I'd rather that they look like:

   (hash-table/modify! hash-table key tiny
     (lambda (datum)
       big huge horrible hairy expression))

   (hash-table/intern! hash-table key make-foo)

Currently they're not documented, so maybe we can get away with
changing them.  Alexey has been threatening to update the hash table
documentation, and even sent me some patches, so now seems like a good
time.  Incidentally, there's even a (vestigial) redefinition in
edwin/nntp.scm of HASH-TABLE/MODIFY! with the argument order I prefer.

Comments?  Flames?

(The real problem is that we don't have any reasonable way to handle
API and ABI compatibility.  Some day, perhaps...)