Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Bug: Poor error message; maybe a sign of somethin

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Bug: Poor error message; maybe a sign of something worse?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:31:15 +0000

   Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:19:55 +0100
   From: Alexey Radul <address@hidden>

   Expected behavior: Ideally, the compiler would successfully compile
   the enclosed file; I believe it to be correct -- in particular, the
   interpreter runs it without incident -- though I would not stake my
   reputation on the absence of errors in it.  Failing that, however, I
   would wish the error message to be more informative.  Is this a
   manifestation of a limitation on the maximum size of basic block that
   the x86-64 code generator is willing to emit?

It is indeed a manifestation of such a limit.  Changing the error
message to say that a little more explicitly would be easy, but not
much more helpful for the user.

I'm looking into changing the actual limit, which looks to be a little
fiddly.  There may also be other limits lurking throughout the code
that nobody has documented or analyzed, although probably most of them
are 32-bit limits rather than 16-bit limits like this one.