[MIT-Scheme-devel] scheme/edwin build problem?

From: Huston Bokinsky
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] scheme/edwin build problem?
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:30:26 -0400

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, so please have patience if not.  I am trying to install mit-scheme on a non-graphical system (Ubuntu Server 11.04) by following the instructions accompanying the latest release.  The problem I have is that when I invoke the program with ~$ mit-scheme -edit, Edwin starts up displaying this message in the REPL mini-buffer:

The thread #[thread 11] signalled an error:
Missing ABORT-EDITOR-COMMAND restart.

Below this is another mini-buffer in Fundamental mode indicating an "error" buffer (the header reads " ---Edwin *error*   (Fundamental)...).  I can't get out of this error buffer except by exiting mit-scheme altogether with C-x, C-c.

Here's how I got to this point:

1.  downloaded the package mit-scheme-9.1-i386.tar.gz from the gnu.org page
2.  installed (what seem to be dependencies) listed on this site:

http://blog.thestever.net/2010/04/21/edwin-mit-scheme-on-x86-64-ubuntu-hardy-haron/

(These "seem to be dependencies" because I tried to install scheme before having found this site and was unable to start scheme in Edwin at all, so the above packages allowed me at least to be able to start Edwin)

3.  followed the regular steps of untarring the package, cd to mit-scheme-9.1/src/, ./configure, make compile-microcode, sudo make install.
4.  called   'mit-scheme -edit'    from the command line

I've googled everything I can think of and have gotten nothing close to the above error message.  If anybody can help me, or direct me to where I should be looking for help, I would be most obliged.  Thank you.