Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] multi-threading problem: Unassigned variable: roo

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] multi-threading problem: Unassigned variable: root-continuation-default
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 22:01:29 +0000

   Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 13:29:33 -0700
   From: Matt Birkholz <address@hidden>

   > From: "Micah Brodsky" <address@hidden>
   > Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 11:10:47 -0400

   > While you're at it, do be careful about using sockets from multiple
   > threads simultaneously. They're not really thread-safe like native
   > OS sockets are. [...]

   Ummm... one should be careful when using ANY resource from multiple
   threads... so Scheme's ports/sockets each come with a mutex... so I
   can only wonder what you're on about...  How "really thread-safe" are
   "native OS sockets"?

The mutex in a port is advisory, not mandatory.  MIT Scheme uses it
only to grant ownership of the `console port' to a single thread.
Concurrent use of a port in two different threads can corrupt its
internal state.  Concurrent use of a file descriptor (or `native OS
socket', or `channel') from two different threads can't corrupt its in
internal state.