[MIT-Scheme-devel] Why does URL:ENCODE-STRING not encode & and ; etc.?

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Why does URL:ENCODE-STRING not encode & and ; etc.?
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 14:22:30 -0700

> From: <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 13:21:32 +0200
>
> Hello fellow Schemers!
>
> I may misunderstand things here, but isn't URL:ENCODE-STRING meant to
> properly encode characters that are special to urls?

It was meant to "encode query string", not "encode arbitrary text"?

> [...]  I'm trying to use it to url-encode the name and value of
> cookies for HTTP, which necessarily means it must encode at least =
> and ; correctly.

You probably don't want to send arbitrary text in a cookie (nor URL
query string, which is supposed to be short and used as a bookmark).
If you send me a huge cookie, I'll cough!  To be nice one sends a tiny
tag, e.g. a session-id, like Apache's mod_unique_id module.