Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Edwin slow file save over WebDAV

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Edwin slow file save over WebDAV
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 20:21:46 +0000

Whoops, looks like I neglected to answer this last month.

   Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:05:13 -0400
   From: Richard Loveland <address@hidden>

   My layman's interpretation is:

   1. write the file (quick)
   2. do something called `thread_selfid' (slow)
   3. stat the `Invoice Service.txt' file (quick, it exists)
   4. stat the `.git' directory, which does not exist (slow)

   The dtruss output is littered with these stat calls to non-existent
   version control directories -- I'm guessing they just correspond to
   `file-exists?' type procedures?

Sounds about right: vc is trying to detect whether you're using any
revision control system by statting the revision control files and
directories.  Unfortunately, at the moment, there's no good way to
turn this off...  Perhaps we ought to have a variable controlling
whether vc autodetection happens, which VC-HOOK:FIND-FILE would check,
or something like that.