Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] [commit fe044480] runtime: Make it nicer to (ge '

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] [commit fe044480] runtime: Make it nicer to (ge '(R3RS)).
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 01:21:21 +0000

   commit fe044480837d2c10a4422d05d5a1017343ef3b85
   Author: Matt Birkholz <address@hidden>
   Date:   Sat Apr 27 14:16:13 2013 -0700

   runtime: Make it nicer to (ge '(R3RS)).

   The default parser and unparser expect to find bindings for
   e.g. *parser-table* in any given environment, but there are no such
   bindings in a package with parent #f (unless you import them).  If you
   don't, executing (ge '(R3RS)) puts the REPL into a tight little error
   loop.  This patch makes the parser and unparser consult the (USER)
   package if they don't find these bindings in the current environment.

Ugh...  The behaviour of the parser and unparser should not depend on
whatever state the REPL user interface is in.  That leads to nonsense
like IMAIL's IMAP client breaking when you ask the REPL to print
numbers in hex.  We need to eliminate this kind of thing, not add more
of it.  Please back out this change.

Frankly I don't think environments are the right mechanism at all for
configuring the parser.  We'd be much better off with a hash table of
options (or a wt-tree so we can easily do set operations on them).