Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] A tale of four builds.

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] A tale of four builds.
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 22:04:25 +0000

   Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 13:41:41 +0000
   From: Taylor R Campbell <address@hidden>

   However, until then, I think we ought to have one makefile for a
   toolchain, say Makefile.boot, with rules like:

   [...]

   This could be done right now, without any cross-compilation changes in
   the code like you mentioned under `Scheme48ish Cross Compilation', to
   fix the bug with star-parser, actually.  (The up-to-date star-parser
   would get included in toolchain.com, as a provisional measure until we
   fix the macro system.)  I might even find time this afternoon to throw
   together a prototype.

I worked on this today and it seems to be doing pretty well.  I got
amd64 natively compiled and cross-compiled (on amd64, so no great feat
there, but I could try i386 too), and I got an svm system cross-
compiled too with only minor tweaks.  It may not be too hard to get
this running with liarc as well, although that may require diving into
the makefile mess in the microcode.  I think I'll merge this branch
pretty soon, since it seems to be working quite well already.

All that this branch does is disentangle the bootstrapping steps; it
doesn't fix any deeper problems with macro phases, so the bootstrap
toolchain gets the new star-parser baked into it and IMAIL is not
quite cross-compilable.