Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] [commit 13b5bca] Fix new build to cross from 9.1.

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] [commit 13b5bca] Fix new build to cross from 9.1.1.
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:24:17 -0800

If you guys can settle on something I'll release it.  So far I'm not seeing a clearly identified revision to cut from.

   Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:27:18 -0700
   From: Matt Birkholz <address@hidden>

   +all-native:
   +    $(MAKE) compile-microcode
   +   address@hidden(top_srcdir)/etc/cross-compile.sh "$(MIT_SCHEME_EXE)"
   +    $(MAKE) build-bands

Ugh...  Please don't make more broken make hacks like this.  I spent a
lot of effort to sort out the dependencies so that we can do a proper
parallel build.  Let's fix the real problem, not regress and make it
harder to find.

The whole point of the new Makefile.tools is to enable cross-builds
like compile-svm.sh does *without* hand-crufted linearizations in
shell script of the dependencies.

What is the substantive difference between what compile-svm.sh does
and what the parallelized Makefile.tools/Makefile build does?  Is it
just about compile-by-procedures and the production of bci files?  I
don't think setting COMPILER:COMPILE-BY-PROCEDURES is necessary for
cross-compiling -- IN-CROSS-COMPILER already does that.