[MIT-Scheme-devel] SIGSEGV trap on bad arg to entity ops

From: Micah Brodsky
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] SIGSEGV trap on bad arg to entity ops
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 20:27:21 -0400

TLDR: If you feed junk to entity and apply hook procedures, you don’t get an ordinary, debuggable error, you get a hardware trap.

Apologies if this is a known issue. I’m in a hurry and don’t have time to properly research the issue, but I didn’t want it to get lost. Tested on 9.0.1, 9.1.1, and 9.2, basically the same.

MIT/GNU Scheme running under GNU/Linux

Type `^C' (control-C) followed by `H' to obtain information about interrupts.

Copyright (C) 2014 Massachusetts Institute of Technology

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty;

not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Image saved on Saturday November 22, 2014 at 4:29:42 PM

  Release 9.2 || Microcode 15.3 || Runtime 15.7 || SF 4.41 || LIAR/x86-64 4.118

  Edwin 3.116

1 ]=> (entity-extra #f)

;Hardware trap SIGSEGV: "address not mapped to object"

;To continue, call RESTART with an option number:

; (RESTART 1) => Return to read-eval-print level 1.

2 error> ^C

Interrupt option (? for help):

;Up!

1 ]=> (entity-procedure #f)

;Hardware trap SIGSEGV: "address not mapped to object"

;To continue, call RESTART with an option number:

; (RESTART 1) => Return to read-eval-print level 1.

2 error> ^C

Interrupt option (? for help):

;Up!

1 ]=> (apply-hook-extra #f)

;Hardware trap SIGSEGV: "address not mapped to object"

;To continue, call RESTART with an option number:

; (RESTART 1) => Return to read-eval-print level 1.

2 error> ^C

Interrupt option (? for help):

;Up!

1 ]=> (apply-hook-procedure #f)

;Hardware trap SIGSEGV: "address not mapped to object"

;To continue, call RESTART with an option number:

; (RESTART 1) => Return to read-eval-print level 1.

2 error> ^C

Interrupt option (? for help):

;Up!

1 ]=> (pp entity-extra)

(named-lambda (entity-extra entity)

  (system-pair-cdr entity))

;Unspecified return value

I don’t know anything about system-pair stuff so that’s as far as I could get without more time.

--Micah