Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Installing on OpenBSD from portable C

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Installing on OpenBSD from portable C
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 20:50:24 +0000

> Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 14:09:58 -0400
> From: Pavan Maddamsetti <address@hidden>
>
> I am trying to build MIT Scheme from the portable C sources on
> OpenBSD/amd64 6.1. The MD5 checksum for the downloaded archive is
> correct. After extracting the files, I went into the src directory and
> ran ./etc/make-liarc.sh.

FYI, there is not much difference in auditability between the
`portable C' version and the amd64 unix binary version -- they are
both precompiled from sources that unfortunately do not have a
nonincestuous bootstrapping story.  The amd64 unix binary version will
be a lot faster and generally work better.

> There was an error with the <signal.h> defines SI_ASYNCIO and SI_MESGQ
> missing; I filled in fake values for these in the appropriate system
> header and continued forward.
>
> The build then failed in the "compile-microcode" step with the
> following message:
>
> "make: don't know how to make ../runtime/runtime-unx.c (prerequisite
> of: compinit.c)"
>
> If I try to run the script again, after the half finished build, it says:

It is possible that, unlike an ordinary makefile, the make-liarc.sh
script is not idempotent or interruptible -- the procedure is pretty
zany.  You may have to start from the beginning, or find where it
stopped and manually run the rest of the script from where it left
off.