painter implementation for picture language in SICP

From: David Liu
Subject: painter implementation for picture language in SICP
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 13:15:57 -0500

Hi all,

I'm trying to use MIT-scheme to play with the picture language in SICP. I am aware that there's an implementation in Racket that works well and is still maintained, but I just wanted to see if I can use the picture language in MIT-scheme.

The book's website [1] gives the "primitive painter" support files for the picture language, and one of the files is prmpnt.scm. One problematic line in that file is this:

(define floating-vector-ref
    (access floating-vector-ref
        (->environment '(student pictures))))

The "student pictures" part probably indicates an environment that a special 6.001 version of MIT-scheme provided. I left MIT less than a year ago, so I'm still able to ssh into my Athena account; I did `add 6.001`, and looked in the Athena locker at `/mit/6.001`, and was not able to find any true definitions of the floating-vector-ref function.

There was a post [2] in mit-scheme-users from 2005 with someone having the same problem, but they never posted the actual solution.

Does anyone know how to get the primitive painter from [1] working?

best,
David (PhD '15 course 8)

[1] https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/psets/ps4hnd/readme.html
[2] https://lists.defectivebydesign.org/archive/html/mit-scheme-users/2005-03/msg00000.html