[Mldonkey-users] Accepted/rejected pango patches

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Accepted/rejected pango patches
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:27:49 +0100

(Message resent, for some reason it seems it didn't make it to the mailing
list the first time...)

> A commit will probably happen this evening, with a large part of
> pango's patch and yours. If you can follow your dev from there, it
> would ease further integrations of your mods.

At Simon, new main maintainer of mldonkey ?

Quoting the Changelog:
> [many cool stuff and fixes]
Cool! I'm so happy to see mldonkey going forward again...

> 13_revert_iptos: applied, but why in and out ?
Well, modifying the IPTOS is not a bad idea, but since new Lugdunum servers
now connect as a client to check the eDonkey port, I fear that lowering the
priority of this connection could be another reason to be rejected by highly
loaded servers. Only disabling IPTOS tweaking for servers is an option, but
is it worth the trouble ?...

> NOT APPLIED, need some discussion:
>      17_hide_chunks_being_uploaded:
>      21_fifo_new_sources:
>      25_bolder_remove_old_sources:

Admiteddly #17 is controversial. On one hand it can slightly improve the
files propagation (mostly for peers that ask chunks in fixed order, like the
old mldonkey behavior, or under very high upload pressure), but on the
other hand some slow uploader can "block" all other uploaders that want the
same chunk (or part of the same chunk). I can't think of a good fix that
would not negate the (small) benefits of the patch :(

As for #25, the original remove_old_clients is broken. It uses
max_sources_per_file as a limit between "low on sources" and "plenty of
sources" behaviors, but since donkeyGlobals.ml::new_source uses a LRU
eviction, the number of sources *cannot* go over max_sources_per_file! Also,
the max_sources_age was not followed. So maybe my patch needs some
tuning/fixes, but something must be done for remove_old_clients in all
cases... (Looking at the Changelog) Oh, it was modified. I'll have to check
the source, then :)

Now for #21, I'm a bit surprized, IMO it can only improve the behavior of
the client (only try newly discovered sources after scheduled connections,
and rate-limit them), could you explain why you didn't apply the patch ?

Ok, and now back to checking what really made it in, test the new toy, etc,
etc... Kudos again to all the people involved in this new release.

BR,
Pierre.