[Mldonkey-users] Commiting files to different partition is slow

From: João Correia
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Commiting files to different partition is slow
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:06:59 -0000

Hello all.

        I have my mldonkey set up (the latest pango, not the 2.01 wich
IS slower) with the temp dir and the commit dir in different harddisks.
My problem is that when I commit a file it takes a loooooooong time to
execute, and mldonkey stops during that time. All d/l and u/l drop to
zero or near, and the system is mostly unusable. Its an old p233mmx
system so the hdd access and transfer times are not the fastest around,
but if mldonkey was multi-threaded (just for this part) it would work
better IMHO.

        I tried to commit to the temp dir, wich is simply a rename, and
its instantaneous. If I then mv the file to a different hdd it works
fine. I mean, it still IS slow, but mldonkey doesn't stall and u/l and
d/l speeds are maintained.

        Anyone has any ideas on how to make this better?

(Maybe a script on the file_completed to automatically mv the file?
(using "&"?))

Thank you for your time,
Joao Correia