[Mldonkey-users] mldonkey agressiveness

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey agressiveness
Date: 06 Jan 2003 12:00:17 +0100

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding mldonkey/edonkey behavior.

Firstly, is mldonkey supposed to be in a "connected" state to sources
for extended periods of time? I was under the impression that it would
connect, get queued, and then disconnect. In my client I see a *lot* of
sources in the "connected" state. The reason I'm wondering if this is
correct is because of the following.

At the moment I have about 6kb/sec download rate. My upload rate is 25
(and was 75 through the night). In other words, I'm consistently
uploading more than I'm downloading (I always do). Yet mldonkey refuses
to become more "agressive". It's basically leaving lots of sources
un-used. Even after manually triggering a retry/reconnect, the amount of
conenctions goes down over time (seemingly leaving the old "stale"
connections, meaning the actual rate is not affected).

Even on files with an absolute minimum of availability (only valid
source seemingly), mldonkey lingers in "connected" states and doesn't
connect to other un-used sources.

While writing this E-Mail the download rate has done down to 3kb/sec,
although there are literally several *thousand* sources listed across a
few different files. And although mldonkey is connected to perhaps
75-150 of them in total, most of them are in state "connected".

Is this how it's supposed to work?

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'