Re: [Mldonkey-users] emule killed mldonkey.. that's a fact

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] emule killed mldonkey.. that's a fact
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:17:45 +0100

>  > I think emule is opensource right? So it shouldn't be too difficult to
>  > get their protocol :)
>
>  I don't know how difficult it is. I only know nobody has done it. ;)

My bet is that emule uses a different protocol for upload. I mean ,
not new messages, but with a different behavior than edonkey. So that
edonkey and mldonkey clients can download a bit from emule clients,
but not as much as emule clients does.

A few months ago, there was this quantum patch in mldonkey. It didnot
prevent mldonkey from downloading a bit from other mldonkey clients,
but it did prevent GOOD downloads between mldonkey clients. If emule
have implemented something closer (ie closing upload slots after some
time, and expect the clients to do something, this would work only for
emule, and not for mldonkey, which would get stuck for a long time on
a useless connection). Indeed, if somebody has a small network with a
windows computer and a linux computer, he can try to create a small
network: no connection to the internet, a server on the linux
computer, an emule uploader on the windows machine (with a big file ~
100 meg) and a mldonkey downloader on the linux machine. Does it work
?

- MLDonkey