Re: [Mldonkey-users] changing default on options

From: Michael Panteleit
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] changing default on options
Date: 09 Jan 2003 18:27:45 +0100

MLdonkey <address@hidden> writes:

> >  max_opened_connections  - 924 is for most users too high
>
> Yes, I agree, we could set it to 150 for example ?

I don't exactly know what's a goo number. I have set mine to 300.

> >  max_reask_delay         - 3600 is too high for emule queues
>
> max_reask_delay ? or min_reask_delay ? default is 600 normally for the
> latter one, and under 540, you get banned by mldonkey

Isn't max_reask_delay the time when we have to reask or be considered
dead by the other client? And AFAIK emules remove you from the queue
if you don't reconnect at least every 30 minutes.

> >  save_options_delay      - do we really need saving every 4 Minutes?
>
> Yes, maybe 15 minutes ?

Even 1 hour should be enough i guess.

> >  server_connection_timeout - 5 is way too low for most servers
>
> Well, it is a trade-off with max_connected_servers... if this one is
> low, you try very few connections in parallel, and a longer timeout
> will delay a lot the first successful connection.

Wit all setting below 20 I get big problems to connect to most
servers. So I set it to 35 without problems.

> >  use_file_history        - a lot of users complain about  mem-problems
>
> OK, maybe we should have some kind of fifo to limit the size of the
> history instead. It is pretty useful to have an history to refine
> searches without restarting them...

I rarely use the edonkey search mechanism. I got my links from forums
or friends.

> >  max_upload_slots        - 10 is too high for most users (i guess)
>
> Yes, or adapt it to the current upload speed ...

Yep, max_hard_upload_rate / 3 (or 2 or 1?)

> Definitively, I think a lot of people should increase
> max_sources_per_file instead of decreasing it...

Up to which value? I set mine to 200 sometimes 300. But the problem
with higher values is(was) there isn't enough time to connect to all
these sources.

Meikel