Rép : [Mldonkey-users] rare chunks of populars files

From: joseph
Subject: Rép : [Mldonkey-users] rare chunks of populars files
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:21:17 +0100

Michael Panteleit wrote...
Joseph <address@hidden> writes:
if such a client (with the rare chunks) appears, ask him to which
client he has uploaded the wanted chunks recently (and why not
currently). add them to the good sources queue even if max_sources
is reached.
Would it mean my mldonkey has to remember all clients it uploads to
just in case your mldonkey asks?

I think so. And to keep a list of all chunks of all files which were
uploaded to all those clients have to be saved and remembered... i
smell big memory consumption....

as i said, you have to remember only recent uploads because we dont want to test the source we arnt downloading from. a client should also remember only some sources which downloads most asked chunks in comparison with other chunks of a file (this imply stats on chunk uploads). another way is to implement a "inform me if you upload this chunk" message. in that case, you would have to remember those who asks, but it would consume less memory, and after having sent him several other sources, you can forget it, as he have other sources to get the info.

anyhow, this wont be implemented in mldonkey, and as i'm not in touch with emule devs, i wont suggest it to them.

Jo.