Re: [Mldonkey-users] Idea

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Idea
Date: 22 Jan 2003 02:32:34 +0100

Michael Panteleit <address@hidden> writes:

> Goswin Brederlow <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I would like a cache of chunks to be shared. Each chunk thats
> > downloaded should be shared at least once
>
> Wouldn't it make popular files more popular, rare files rarer?

Might, but sharing every chunk once gives you up=down which is allways
fair. Also consider that many people want popular files and only a
very small percentage will get a chunk from you. For rare files nearly
everyone will get a chunk from you. If all the chunks of a popular
file are shared only rare chunks would be left. Of cause one would
have to share popular chunks again if there is realy no demand for the
other chunks. But if its eigther or use the least shared one.

At the moment you will get flooded with requests for popular files and
a rare file request will hardly ever get a queue slot.

MfG
        Goswin