Re: [Mldonkey-users] Overnet Bug/Ban Hunting

From: Marc Thoben
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Overnet Bug/Ban Hunting
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:09:58 +0100

Hi Jochen, hi all.

I'm rather new to this list, so first big cheers to all developers
for providing a really good alternative to the official clients =)

On 27th of January 2003 at 18:36:23, Jochen Radmacher wrote:
> Following the discussion about working /not working overnet downloads,
> it looks like only people using portforwarding cannot download from Overnet.
> So the Question is:
> Is ANYBODY downloading from Overnet AND does also use Portforwarding?
>
> If there is nobody, we then know at least where to hunt for the Bug.
> (And someone who can actually read OCAML could fix it.)
>
> Jochen

I'm forwarding ports to mldonkey.

I've been using 2.01-3 since it got out. Donkey and Overnet were
both working very well. I always had about 9000 overnet peers and
downloaded from and uploaded to it successfully.

When 2.02-5 got out, I upgraded and setup the new tcp port for
overnet. I still successfully found around 9000 overnet peers, but
no dl or ul. After a few hours the amount of overnet peers went down
and down, until I had only excatly 512 peers left.

So I downgraded to 2.01-3 again, but still had no success with
overnet (I now think my IP got banned ?!).

So I upgraded to 2.02-5 again, because I thought, there must be
something wrong with overnet itself.

Using 2.02-5 for a while, I found out, that whenever I got a new IP
from my ISP (every 24h) mldonkey found new peers. But only for a few
hours, so that I again had the minimum of 512 peers after 5 hours.

Downgrading to 2.01-3 and connecting with a new IP, everything about
overnet worked again ... Until the new Overnet version 0.43 was
released last week. Now I can "use" overnet (amount of peers: 4000
and with dl/ul) for a few hours, before it suddenly stops -> loosing
peers until 512, no more dl/ul.

>From day to day those few hours get less before, I think, I get
banned.

  hours.

2.02-5: NO Download/Upload from/to Overnet, but finding peers for a
  few hours.

Ciao,
Marc