[Mldonkey-users] ulimit experiences

From: Christian Brandt
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] ulimit experiences
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:51:53 +0100

I installed mldonkey on a 486dx4-133/32MB-RAM/8GB-IDE running a scaled-down
SuSE8.1. version says "MLDonkey 2.02-0: Objective-Caml Client/Server for
the eDonkey2000 Network"

You guess it, the memoryconsumption brought the system down to its knees
within hours. After four weeks I decided to take action and played around
with ulimit (see man ulimit or man bash and search for ulimit) and had an
impressive success or at least I think so. Swapping has gone done to a
minimum and the systems seems stable for weeks now. I am also running
mldonkey as a special user, maybe I should also try the static version
within chroot?

My Startscript:

#!/bin/sh
ulimit -d32768 -l16384
cd ~/mldonkey
nice -10 ./mldonkey >>mldonkey.log 2>&1 &

 Any caveats?

--
Christian Brandt

 life is short and in most cases it ends with death
 but my tombstone will carry the hiscore