Re: [Mldonkey-users] 2.02-8 flooded by lowid clients

From: Lionel Bouton
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] 2.02-8 flooded by lowid clients
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:42:00 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

Hi,

trying latest CVS version for some time I noticed quite strange effects - not noticable on a 100mbit line ;-) but on another with 128kbit upstream.

mldonkey is flooded by incoming clients, logging shows there are huge
amounts of lowid clients connecting - max_opened_connections at 50 and
clients_per_second to 1 (for testing) but over 1000 connections established.
Isn't there some flow control for requests to lowid clients?
They're connecting like hell, and mldonkey happily responds and asks
for files, filling (more than) available bandwidth. This lasted a
whole night. Files are a mixture between popular and rare files (four popular, 40 very rare).

After disabling incoming TCP port via filtering (so it's at lowid) everything
is back to normal within seconds. And yes, traffic shaping is used, but
this won't help if there's far too much data going out all the time.

Blocking overnet gave me some download rate back (nearly nothing to 4-10 kB/s). Blocking every port like you gave me some more (20+kB/s a couple of minutes after, steady since).

See png included : overnet blocking was done yesterday evening around 9PM (21:00) and other ports were blocked this morning around 10AM.

But still not a single server on the horizon (although I did the whole : remove servers.ini, files.ini, file_sources.ini, start mldonkey 2.02-8, wait for hash computation to complete, restart mldonkey thing).

LB

PNG image