[Mldonkey-users] Re: 80% of connection goes to offline IPs.

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: 80% of connection goes to offline IPs.
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:01:19 +0200

"Nicolas" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I use MLNet 2.04rc1+pango20030328b-11

> If I tcpdump the stream generated by mldonkey I notice that :
> - it send an average of 22 SYN packets per second
> - it receive an average of only 4 SYN/ACK packets per second.

> It means that some 80% of the connection started by mldonkey doesn't
> have a response.  Is that normal ?

Yes. It is normal for nearly all P2P systems.

> Why does mldonkey continue trying to connected so much offline IP ?

Because the IP may have been valid just a minute ago, or the last time,
mldonkey tried to connect to it.

The user at the other side may have switched of the computer or went
offline, or the ISP cut the line after a defined time passed.

I don't know the current behavior, so what I am describing here might
already be implemented:

  Try to connect an IP
  Invalid? (no SYN/ACK, Timeout, etc.)
  While (counter < max_tries && !ip_valid) {
      Try again in nex_try seconds
  }
  Source now valid? OK, let's leech.
  Not valid? Remove source assigned to this IP from all files.

S°

--
Letzte Worte eines Dachdeckers: Mensch is das ein Wind