[Mldonkey-users] Some thoughts about network plugins

From: Bernd Kuhls
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Some thoughts about network plugins
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 01:57:24 +0200

Hi,

so, after some clitches Gnutella, Soulseek, Bittorrent and Fasttrack
are now working here with 2.4-6. I found the libs for DNS support for FLI4L:-)

-------------
What I recognize is that in the ini-files files which have been downloaded
completely
are stored not once, but lots of times, one file in gnutella.ini had over 3000
entries in old_files.
But not only there also in soulseek.ini, fasttrack.ini.

-------------
Another thing, when I enable Gnutella I get a serverlist of over 3000 entries
which blows
memory consumption up to 35 MB and more (threaded version). could you please
introduce
a switch to limit the number of servers which are asked simultaniously?
I downloaded a file successfully but with this high number of servers Gnutella
is not
practically useful here.

-------------
At startup core checks every file I have in share and says something like this:
<filename> has uid urn:sha1:<lots of numbers and letters> (<more numbers and
letters>)
Could share urn

As cpu usage goes high during that time I suppose the files are hashed but that
value
never makes it into shares.ini and so that hashing takes place everytime
MLDonkey is fired up.

Top shows that clearly:

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT  LIB %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
23397 root       4   0 12812  12M  2576 S      24 32.9 10.0   0:32 mldonkey
23399 root      19  19 12812  12M  2576 R N    24 10.4 10.0   0:18 mldonkey

If it makes sense from the point of network philosophy those values should be
saved.

Yet another thing, a Bittorrent file which I started this morning got lots of
download for two
or three hours up to 33% and then 0 download for 8-10 hours. Now after restart
of MLDonkey
it gets again lots of download, anything wrong here?

But apart from those things I must say I am very impressed about MLDonkey, keep
up your work!

Greetings, Bernd aka spiralvoice