[Mldonkey-users] Queued files and memory usage

From: LordVyper
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Queued files and memory usage
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:32:28 +0100

Hello all

        When using versions before 2.4-6, I had nearly 400 files on my
download queue, with max_concurrent_downloads=20, and everything was
fine. Memory usage was low (about 60/70megs), and the program ran fine.
Now with 2.5, in the same setup, memory usage sky rockets to nearly 300,
effectively staling my old p166 and its dma33 hdds. I know I should
upgrade hardware, but I would like to know what causes that effect.
        Could it be that queued files still amass sources? Could it be
that not the same files are downloading on 2.5 that were on 2.4-6, and
the sources for the queued files are eating up memory? Shouldn't
mldonkey keep sources only for running downloads?
        As a last resort, I deleted the list of d/ls from my .ini files,
mv the temp files from one dir to another, and left only 30/40 on the
incoming dir. I recover_temp'ed, and voila, everything is smooth again,
but I have to move files from one dir to another to be able to use 2.5.
I only have edonkey enabled, so I guess the other networks stuff is not
responsible.
        Until the latest versions, the max_concurrent_downloads was
working perfectly. Could it be, like I said above, sources from other
files being kept in memory? Considering I restarted mldonkey quite some
times, and not the same files were running (ie, not queued) on each
restart, perhaps left-over sources for queued files are responsible for
this behaviour.

        Then again, it could just be sun spots and cosmic winds messing
up my aged cpu.

        Thank you all for your time,
        Joao Correia