[Mldonkey-users] mldonkey and character encoding

From: Petter E. Stokke
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey and character encoding
Date: 27 Jun 2003 13:40:13 +0200

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of character set mldonkey
(through OCaml) operates with. Does it use the encoding defined by the
system locale, or does it simply not know about encodings at all?

It seems the eDonkey protocol, at least, is totally ignorant of charset
encodings, so filenames and the likes passed around the donkey network
tend to be transmitted in whatever charset a particular client prefers
and received in the recipient's preferred charset. All in all, it's a
royal mess, and one I'm trying to address if at all possible with the
mldonkey GUI I'm writing (KMLDonkey). Any information at all would be
appreciated, especially any hints about OCaml's behaviour in this regard
(I know it doesn't support Unicode, but not whether it understands
system locales at all).

--
Petter E. Stokke <address@hidden> http://www.gibreel.net/
PGP key: http://www.gibreel.net/key.asc