[Mldonkey-users] [patch #4791] web_infos: New type geoip.dat, save files

From: spiralvoice
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] [patch #4791] web_infos: New type geoip.dat, save files to local disk, re-download only if file on server is newer
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:23:16 +0100

Follow-up Comment #1, patch #4791 (project mldonkey):

I asked the people at maxmind.com:
My question now is, do you allow us to perform a HTTP HEAD
request on your webserver when MLDonkey starts to get the
"last-modified" header of GeoIP.dat.gz. With that MLDonkey
determines if the file was updated by checking the file creation
date of the local copy of GeoIP.dat.gz.
Users can choose to de-activate GeoIP support completely,
in this case no request will be sent to your servers.

MLDonkey will send an user agent in the style "MLDonkey/2.7.2"
so you can determine the load it puts on your servers.
Today I received an positive answer:
This should be fine, since you are checking the
header before downloading, so it shouldn't overload
the server, and we can monitor the traffic since
you are sending a identifying user agent string.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=4791>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/