mlview-hacking

Re: [Mlview-hacking] Hello ...

From: Dodji Seketeli
Subject: Re: [Mlview-hacking] Hello ...
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:19:30 +0200 (MEST)

Quoting "Frederick C. Druseikis" <address@hidden>:

> Just wanted to say hello.

Hello Frederick,

> I've been working on an XSLT-based web application for some time now.
>  I've used mlview for a couple of *days* mostly because I started
> feeling the need for an XML editor.  I have been pretty impressed with
> mlview.  It hasn't bitten me yet ;)

Thank you for using mlview.

>Although I've been using vim to edit
> my .xsl I'm beginning to think that I could really use a more
> sophisticated set of editing tools, so that's why I joined this list.

So welcome to the list then. I hope it will be a nice place for you
to stay :)

> The approach I've been taking is that there are meta-stylesheets which
> when coupled with metadata (describing page content) produce a
> stylesheet that takes data to produce an html page.

That sounds interesting. I would  like to see that in action.

>Mlview has a lot of knowledge via a dtd of
> an xml document; constructs for xslt have a lot of structure too.  Has
> anybody tried to use mlview for this kind of task?  Has anybody seen (or
>
> have) a dtd for XSLT?

Er, yes, I've had some bug reports that deal with xsl stylesheet edition
in mlview. But for the time being, mlview needs a bit more code to handle
dtds that define fully qualified element names. If you really need it,
I will add that code asap. Concerning the XSL dtd, i think my dear friend
google can help you find that :)

> Does anybody have any interest in - or percieve a need for - adding a
> "plug-in" capability to mlview?  I'm thinking that a capability like
> that found in gedit.

I definetely want to add pluggins capabilities to mlview.
My only problem is the time, or the "man-power" if you prefer.
I am the "one man army" behind mlview although some great people have
already sent me some corrective patches. So like a lot of other things,
I will add some generic pluggin's capabilities to mlview as soon as
I have the time to do it. But if you know, some competent programmers
interested in hacking gnome/xml based apps, why not asking them to join ? :)

> What I have in mind is that you would be able to write a plug-in (say in
>
> perl, or python, although I prefer the former) that would operate on the
>
> DOM mlview has, maybe by taking a copy of the current one, passing it to
>
> the plug-in, and then displaying the result on a new tab.

I definetely agree with you. That is a functionality I've planned already.
I am glad to see that there is someone who shares that vision with me.
Now I hope that I will finish the other mlview related stuffs I am working
on to switch to the pluggin system quickly enough :)

>I haven't thought
> it out beyond this.

It is a good start :)

Thank you for your interest.