mlview-hacking

[Mlview-hacking] mlview news.

From: Dodji Seketeli
Subject: [Mlview-hacking] mlview news.
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:15:41 +0100 (MET)

Hi all,

It's been a long time since my last posting on this list.

A lot of things happened on the mlview dev front although this
list has stayed very quiet.

First, I would like to introduce Strider <address@hidden>
who joined the mlview team recently. Strider provided a first
gnome2 port patch based on the the 0.0.3rc2 release. The patch is
commited in the cvs in the "gnome2-port" branch. There still a lot to
do to make mlview a really native gnome2 application, but thanks to
strider, we do have a good  base to start with.
For the sake of agility, I've granted strider the cvs write access
so that he can commit changes whenever he feels it is needed.

In the same time I have started to work on the css2 support of mlview.
This css2 support is key to have an edition view based on a kind of wysiwyg
rendering. On that front, gnome lacks a good standard compliant css2 toolkit.
This is why I have started the libcroco project effort. This project that
can be considered as an mlview subproject is there to provide an xml/css
editable rendering
engine based on gnome technologies. For the time being, libcroco focuses on the
css2 parsing.

So far, libcroco provides a css2 parser that implements the  SAC (simple api for
css) api defined by the w3c.
The parser works somehow at the sac level although a lot still to be done. I am
now working on building
a css object model (same thing as a document object model in the case of xml)
during the sac parsing.

Contributions are welcome to test the current functionalities
of the parser, write documentation and  setup a little web site that describes
the libcroco project.
The project is hosted on savannah at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/libcroco.

As you may have noticed a lot of things are going on under the hood. More things
are to come in a couple of weeks/months.

Stay tuned and don't hesitate to join the mlview team to help provide the gnome
community with a descent
xml edition architecture.

One last thing, if you want to join us a bit more interactively,
we are usually on irc at irc.gnome.org#mlview. Feel free to hang around.

Dodji.

---
Dodji Seketeli.        |gnome xml editor: www.nongnu.org/mlview