Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings with 0.31

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings with 0.31
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:58:58 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:48:54 -0500, address@hidden
said:

hendrik> In monotone, I suggest that a file that has been
hendrik> character-converted on checkout have its line-end coding
hendrik> reverted on checkin, on a line-by-line basis.  Thus only when
hendrik> the user explicitly edits line ends will the end-of-line
hendrik> coding be changed in the repository.  This would have the
hendrik> effect that if massive damage is done to a true binary file
hendrik> if it is mistakenly line-end-converted, the damage would be
hendrik> mostly undone on subsequent checkin.

What I hear you say is that eol conversion should happen upon file
extraction.  Then, unless the user explicitely does eol conversion,
the file is converted back to the original eol format before being
stored (or the diff being performed).

I'm sure I misunderstood what you wrote, because my interpretation
doesn't make sense at all.

Cheers,
Richard

-----