nano-devel

[Nano-devel] proposal for having a Toggles menu

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] proposal for having a Toggles menu
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 11:18:40 +0200

Op 13-06-19 om 00:37 schreef David Niklas:
> Of course, just creating the sub-menu would allow each person to make
> whatever reassignments they want, without the fear of loosing access to
> any of the toggles.

Right.  That would be a nice side effect of having a Toggles menu.  But
my main reason at first was: to have all the toggles listed in the two
help lines at the bottom (these two help lines are nano's "trade mark",
it is how nano presents all or most of the possible keystrokes at each
point in the program), and be able to pick one immediately (instead of
having to do ^G, scroll to the bottom, see what toggle you want, remember
the keystroke, press ^X, and then hit the remembered keystroke).

>> But at the moment there are thirteen toggles, and
>> in a default 80-column only twelve fit on the help lines.  Which one
>> to choose to /not/ show in that case?
>
> Here's some really good ones that I rarely, if ever, use and can't
> imagine a use case that would require frequent toggling:
> M-O More space                Probably only set once.

This toggle does not exist anymore since version 3.0; M-O toggles
tabs-to-spaces since then.

> M-N DOS/Mac conv.     Maybe used, but only set once most likely.

This toggle does not exist anymore since 3.0, either.  Since 4.1
it toggles line numbers.

> M-Z Suspend support   Probably only set once.

Yeah, I've been thinking about enabling suspension always, and to
add Suspend to the Tools menu.  In this way, if people find they
hit ^Z by accident (or want to use ^Z for something else), they can
unbind or rebind the key and still have access to suspension through
^T ^Z, say.

That would reduce the number of toggles to twelve, get rid of a
strange toggle that doesn't really fit the rest of nano (it just
blocks/unblocks a possible keystroke), and free up the -z option.

Benno