nano-devel

Re: the justifying of indented text

From: Seb
Subject: Re: the justifying of indented text
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 22:41:54 +0100 (CET)

Hi Benno,

Thanks alot for the history of the changes!

In short: When a file contains only pure text (paragraphs, bullet lists, quotations, and such), there is no problem, nano will justify things well. When a file contains only pure code and comments (like in a C or Python file), there is no problem either: you will not type ^J on the code lines, and nano is able to distinguish comments from code (through quotestr) and will justify comments just fine.

The problem occurs when code and text are mixed. Or rather: when *markup* (HTML) and *commands* (LaTeX, or whatever those \things are called in LaTeX) are mixed with text without any intervening blank line.

Yes. Thanks for summarizing this clearly.

But this does not explain *why* the justifying of indented paragraphs was prevented/disabled when autoindent is OFF. What purpose does this serve? Well, one reason seems to be your use case: when text is mixed with *indented* markup or directives, these should not be considered to be part of any paragraph. This (or something similar) is what the above explanation should have said.

There is that, but I think there is also another way to look at this. If auto-indent is OFF, then a ^<Tab> was not magically added my Nano, it was entered manually, deliberately, by the user. So it is reasonable for Nano to trust that the user knows what he wants, in this particular part of this particular file, better than a general algorithm, and to gracefully, politely respect that choice.

Anyway, for your use case, I've improved the "Christmas-present" patch: when autoindent is ON, you can also justify tab-indented long quotations, and even tab-indented bullet lists.

Very nice, thank you!
Does this have any chance of making it into Nano's future release?

Kind regards,
Sébastien.