nano-devel

not dropping the default syntax at all

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: not dropping the default syntax at all
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 11:57:02 +0200

Op 06-09-2020 om 22:22 schreef Hussam al-Homsi:
> I think the default syntax (default.nanorc) should be dropped because
> its highlighting is arbitrary and because its assumptions are often
> invalid.
> For example, a # in unrecognized file formats could mean anything, so
> it should not be treated as starting a comment.

For the vast majority of cases where nano is casually used (a quick
edit of a config file), a leading # means a comment, so I think it
is quite good to have a default syntax.

If the user does not like having a default syntax, they can delete
default.nanorc from their system, or they can simply redefine it at
the end of their ~/.nanorc:

  syntax default
  color pink "^$"

Benno