nhproxy-discuss

[Nhproxy-discuss] Re: slashem proxy interface

From: m m
Subject: [Nhproxy-discuss] Re: slashem proxy interface
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:45:43 +0000

Hi Ali,

Thanks for that. To give a bit of background, my initial thought was to develop a javascript rougue-like - I have already written a simple worm game and see no reason that it wouldn't work (speed is possibly an issue, but I think it could be overcome). Then I decided 'why reinvent the wheel', and thought about writting a intermediatary between slashem and the browser - the client side script would be limited to simply sending user input and refreshing the parts of the screen needing it via xml messages, the server side doing all the sending and recieving of the messages and piecing it together. After digging around the source I came across the proxy interface, and it looks like the way to go (my initial thought, and a possible fall back, was just to capture and translate the tty output).

 Something like this -

javascript --- [user input] ---> php --- [user input message] ---> slashem ---[window messages] ---> php ---[display updates] ---> javascript

From what you are saying, and from what I have been piecing together from the proxy docs and tests, a further intermediatory might be needed between slashem and php.

There are quite a few issues that will need addressed, but primarily I'm aiming to get a proof of concept done, to make sure it is technically possible (I see no reason why not atm). Once that is done, the practicalities can be addressed. This is mainly as a learning project for me, so I'm not too worried if it turns out to be unfeasible and needs to be dropped :)

My first set of steps is to get familar with the proxy code, so my tasks are

  [1] compile slashem with the proxy interface - done
  [2] run the proxy interface tests - done
[3] Write a quick C app to show it working (launch slashem and demonstrate it has recieved and sent a message)

[3] is the bit I am stuck at at the minute, though I think by hammering away at the test code for the proxy module I may be able to piece it together. However, any suggestions are very welcome :)

Cheers,
Martin