Re: [nmh-workers] sendmail/pipe default config?

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] sendmail/pipe default config?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 11:29:15 -0400

az writes:

> it's been that way since 2003 when somebody complained about
> smtp as default (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=152729);

That issue was about submitting using smtpd versus directly to sendmail.
Using the nmh sendmail/smtp mts would invoke sendmail directly, as
requested, simply using the smtp protocol.

sendmail/pipe uses sendmail -t, which causes sendmail to read the
addresses from the draft.  Its sole purpose is to replace the obsolete and
undocumented mh spost.  I don't think that sendmail/pipe offers any
advantage here over sendmail/smtp, and has the disadvantage that
sendmail/pipe does not support Dcc:.

> >Re. sendmail/pipe, are these comments in post.c still valid?
> >
> >    /* This won't work with MTS_SENDMAIL_PIPE. */
> >    verify_all_addresses (1, eai, envelope, oauth_flag, auth_svc);
>
> as far as i can tell yes, because verify_all_addresses uses do_an_address
> which
> uses sm_wadr which talks smtp.

Right, so verify_all_addresses() does work when the user has specified
sendmail/pipe, though it uses sendmail/smtp, in effect, here.  I'll update
the comment.

> personally i think spending any further effort on verifying addresses for
> deliverability on the sending side is wasted because of how little
> verification/guarantee it provides (see bugs section in man whom).

Good point.  I find "whom -check" to be useless or even misleading.

David