Re: vixie out

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: vixie out
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 18:58:05 -0800

Thanks for that. My mail to address@hidden bounced.

> As a larger note ... I always thought the use of Maildir as a message
> folder format was a bit weird.  I have no objections if people want to
> add that support for Maildir folders, but there are some challenges, and
> I think the number of people who would find that useful is small compared
> to the number of people who would find IMAP useful, so it wasn't something
> I was going to work on (we do, today, have support in inc(1) for Maildir).
>
> >Yeah, with all of the security that NASA is adding, my days of fetchmail
> >and procmail are numbered at work, and with it, MH and MH-E, unless I
> >can find a way to bridge the gap between the NASA Linux email UI
> >(Evolution?) and the MH mail store.
>
> I can't speak for exactly what you guys are doing, but I believe we
> support all of the relevant security protocols with regards to POP
> and SMTP.  So if you guys have a POP server and a SMTP server you point
> Evolution to, I don't think there's a reason you couldn't use nmh with it.

The new system is Office 365 and all employees are *required* to use
Lookout on their Windows and Mac systems as an MUA using a badge for
authentication. Given that, I'm pessimistic there is an open way to
access NASA email. Linux users currently have a waiver to continue using
IMAP, but that will go away once NASA IT finds a solution. It is likely
to be a dictated MUA (as with the Mac and Windows) rather than a general
mechanism.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/, GnuPG ID:610BD9AD