Running Tests in Parallel. (Was: Make test-mhical pass with BSD yacc.)

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Running Tests in Parallel. (Was: Make test-mhical pass with BSD yacc.)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 16:45:18 +0100

Hi Ken,

> > What's a bit tedious for all users of the tests, especially those
> > like developers who should run it a lot, are their serial nature.
> > I see Automake supports parallelising tests these days.  That
> > presumably would help ‘make -sj check’ go more like the clappers.
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Parallel-Test-Harness.html
>
> I've looked at that.  The key stumbling block is you have to create a
> nmh environment to run pretty much any of the tests, and we'd have to
> make sure that one set of nmh mail folders doesn't step on another set
> of nmh mail folders.

Perhaps that could be achieved with a LOG_COMPILE definition which kicks
off a ‘wrapper-script’, as mentioned in
https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Parallel-Test-Harness.html,
which creates an environment for running an existing test/*/test-* shell
script, thereby avoiding altering them?

Just a guess, not based on any proper research or understanding.

--
Cheers, Ralph.