Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X

From: Robert Elz
Subject: Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 08:51:06 +0700

    Date:        Sun, 02 Apr 2023 18:59:03 -0400
    From:        Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com>

  | Given my druthers I think I'd rather do the last one, since this kind
  | of seems like a table!

I would do it that way (now) too, either that way, or just use mdoc
primitives - an appropriate layout could probably be achieved using
the list macros (with tags) in compact mode.

  | (I do not know when tbl(1) was created, but it wouldn't surprise me
  | if MH predated it).

tbl was in (at least, if not earlier) 6th edition - so it predates MH.

But the man command (and the man macros) used to not support use of tbl,
that was for MS (or MM for those who had those macros) (and later ME from
Berkeley).

So, it is no surprise that man pages wouldn't use it.

kre