Re: Nmh on MacOs

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Nmh on MacOs
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 17:40:39 +0100

Hi Eric,

> I have mu, nmh, dape, and slime on my emacs

I think Emacs users like the MH-E interface to nmh:
https://mh-e.sourceforge.io.

> Every time I press inc, I get this message

This is quite common.
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2023-03/msg00003.html
was one ‘recent’ short discussion.

There is a text file which tracks your ‘current’ version and when nmh
realises it's more new then it says ‘Welcome’.  To locate that file,
replicate my commands but with the output you get.

    $ mhparam path context
    path: mail
    context: context
    $
    $ cat ~/mail/context
    Current-Folder: inbox
    Version: nmh-1.7+dev
    $

> I know one mistake I made was running inc while in root, but I don’t
> know how to fix it.

Can you write to that context file?  Perhaps nmh is having trouble
storing the new version after it has said welcome.  I'd expect ~/mail
downwards to be owned by you, not root.  Or whatever your ‘path’ is
shown to be with the above mhparam(1) command.

    $ cd
    $ find `mhparam path` ! -user $LOGNAME
    $

You'll see in the above thread that Ken gives a way of disabling the
welcome message but I wouldn't rush to do that in case your problem is
a symptom of a mess left by running inc as root.  You'd just be
disguising the underlying cause and hit a new problem instead.

--
Cheers, Ralph.