nss-mysql-users

[Nss-mysql-users] start/stop mysql while using nss-mysql

From: Nick De Decker
Subject: [Nss-mysql-users] start/stop mysql while using nss-mysql
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:57:56 +0100

Hello again,

I got libnss-mysql to work, everything worked fine ... until i tried to
restart my mysql server.

I have the following in /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd:     files mysql
shadow:     files mysql
group:      files mysql

Now when i try to stop the mysql server it wont stop completely :

address@hidden ~/libnss-mysql-0.35# /etc/init.d/mysql stop
Killing mysqld with pid 10760
Wait for mysqld to exit\c
.\c
.\c
.\c

so i've killed them manually

Starting the server is even worse :
Mysql seems to start perfectly, but when i try to connect to the server it
just hangs, sits there in stead of letting me in.
I cant do a simple  ls -l, ps aux, and some other things while the mysql
server is half-started.

It seems that for starting and stopping the server it wants to connect to
the database ... i dont understand why because nsswitch is configured to use
the files in first place. The mysql user and group have valid entries in
/etc/passwd and /etc/group

(when i remove mysql entries from nsswitch i can stop/start the server
normally again)

Any ideas ?

Nick