nss-mysql-users

Re: [Nss-mysql-users] MD5 passwords

From: Clay Loveless
Subject: Re: [Nss-mysql-users] MD5 passwords
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 04:22:36 -0700

On Jun 7, 2006, at 1:15 AM, Jason Clifford wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Clay Loveless wrote:

Is it possible to store passwords in the user table as MD5 hashes
instead of using MySQL's PASSWORD() function?

Yes you can. I've been doing so for years.

Hi Jason,

Thanks -- can you please elaborate?

The closest I've seen that's possible is using crypt-md5, and I'd rather skip that and just store MD5 hashes alone. What I'm not clear on is how to configure Fedora Core 5 (specifically /etc/sysconfig/ authconfig) to use plain MD5 hashes instead of crypt-md5.

Can you please explain what configuration changes you've made, if any, in order to make this work?

Thank you!
-Clay

--
Killersoft.com