nufw-users

[Nufw-users] Holly cow!! Why didn't anyone tell me nufw exists!!!

From: Mark Jayson R. Alvarez
Subject: [Nufw-users] Holly cow!! Why didn't anyone tell me nufw exists!!!
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:54:19 +0800

Hello!!

I have been sending tons of emails to various mailing list regarding the
management of our Local Area Network. I have already looked into serveral
tools such as authpf, netreg, etc. I even have my presentation slides ready
after carefully evaluating our needs. I was about to present my proposed
solution when I landed in nufw's homepage.. I was surprised to find out that
someone has already come up with such requirements as ours. Now, I just
joined this mailing list to make sure that nufw is really the solution to our
problem..

Ok, here is our situation.

Our LAN consisting of 126 users have a very poor ip allocation strategy such
that users can jump to any ip block he wants making it really hard to track
down who is doing this and who is doing that.

Or goal is to monitor all network activities of each workstation (ip address)
and be able to determine who's workstation is this. (DHCP with internal DNS
can easily be bypassed by smart users)

My proposed solution is to have each user be assigned a static ip address,
with other details such as os, mac address, property no. etc all stored in
ldap directory. Tie up an authentication to the firewall ruleset and can also
do some ip/mac verification by doing ldap lookups.

To accomplish this, since we don't have that much number of staffs, I
suggested to have a single class C ip block for all the staffs. Having
different ipblock groupings for staffs is not needed anymore. There's not
that much difference when it comes to network usage policy for all the
staffs. Then we put the network servers in another block just to ensure that
authentication will happen first before a user access those servers.

Authentication is needed because:

"If we are to monitor all of the network activities of each user, we must make
sure that no one is trying to hide themselves by illegally using another
user's ip/mac address, or no one have accidentally used another user's ip
address. By doing an authentication against the pcrouter, we are ensuring
that every device that will be connecting to our network is registered and
known, so that all of his network activities can be correctly monitored."

authpf lacks this sort of ip/mac verification because I guess it was designed
with a multi-user workstation environment in mind(in our case 1 workstation,
1 ip, per 1 user).

netreg is also not a good idea either.

In our conversations:
Basically, the netreg process looks like this.

1. User will login to the network registration page, using his
username/password(probably an ldap account).
2. From there, the user will fill up the registration form with his, mac
address, other info, etc...
3. After successful registration, dhcp client on the user's machine will be
enabled.
4. When the client tries to obtain the network settings from the dhcp server,
the server will first try to verify if the hardware address where the request
is coming from is already registered. If it is, then the entire dhcp
transaction will be carried out... unless otherwise, the request will be
denied.

Another problem I am seeing with this kind of setup is that it doesn't prevent
someone from using other user's network information. There's not that much of
authentication happening in the process of dhcp. The server only looks if the
mac address is already registered(in my case, a simple ifconfig will allow me
to change my mac address to that of a registered user). There are a couple of
suggestions and workarounds to this however, and with these at hand, were're
only left with that redundancy issue..

I'm planning to write some custom login scripts that are tied up against the
firewall ruleset which can do ldap lookups also. However, as far as I can
understand.. nufw can already accomplish this need..

Is nufw really the solution to our problem?

Thanks!
-jayson

--
Mark Jayson R. Alvarez                        email: address@hidden