nuxeo-localizer

[Nuxeo-localizer] translation process vision

From: Luistxo Fernandez
Subject: [Nuxeo-localizer] translation process vision
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:08:32 +0200

The process, in my vision.

I will follow David´s steps.

>(...) Which will be the process?
>
> - The content creator provides the original version of the document;

Step 1. Ok.

For an exanple, we will call this Document A1_en (type: whatever, as in David´s
proposal). It's an original document.

> - The content creator clicks a button in the user interface, the
>   action of this button is to parse the document, extract the
>messages
>   and feed a MessageCatalog object with them;

step 2. The content creator clicks a button in the user interface, the action
of this button is to parse the document, and feed a MessageCatalog object with
them; it simultaneously creates a .txt text document where messages are simply
paragraph after paragraph.

That is the A1_en.txt document. For instance:
-------
About EuroZope

EuroZope is the community of Zope users, developpers and companies in Europe.

EuroZope is focused on evangelization, localization and setting up Zope events
during computer exhibitions in Europe.

We agreed on a statute, which you can read or download "here.":statute.pdf
-------

> - The translator translates the messages with the MessageCatalog
>   (he won't have to deal with text formatting!);

Step 3. The translator receives the A1_en.txt document and translates it with
whatever he uses. He returns the A1_es.txt translated document.
-----
Acerca de EuroZope

EuroZope es la comunidad de usuarios, desarrolladores y empresas que trabajan
con Zope en Europa.

Los objetivos de Eurozope son la evangelización, y la organización de eventos
en torno a Zope en ferias informáticas de Europa.

Hemos acordado unos estatutos, que puedes leer o bajarte desde
"aquí.":statute.pdf
------

> - The content creator (or the translator) clicks another button, it
>   creates a new language version for the document based on the
>original
>   one and on the translations available in the message catalog;

step 4. The content creator (or the translator) clicks another button, it
creates a new language version for the document; then uploads the new A1_es.txt
text document, which is counter-parsed to reintegrate its messages/paragraphs
into the message catalog.

> - If needed the translated version can be modified.

Now, it´s updating time.

A1_en has to be modified. It will become A1b_en.

---
About EuroZope

EuroZope is the community of Zope users, developpers and companies in Europe.

EuroZope is focused on world domination. We have a well thought out scheme to
undermine the usage of proprietary software accross Europe.

We agreed on a new statute, which you can read or download "here.":statute.pdf
---

Paragraphs 1 and 2 are not altered. Paragraph 3 is different. Paragraph 4 only
varies in one extra word (´new´).

So, following the previous process, the translator would receive the A1b_en.txt
file. But that´s not the only thing he should receive. He should also get a
translation-memory file, in which the previously translated paragraphs are
aligned.

This would have required that after step 4 of the previous process, another
automatic step should gave been taken:

a) the alignment of the A1_en.txt and A2_es.txt files to create a A1_en_es.tmx
memory.

or alternatively:

b) the alignment of messages in the Message Catalog to create a MC_en_es.tmx
memory.

So, when the translator receives the A1b_en.txt he also receives the
A1_en_es.tmx (or MC_en_es.tmx) memory, and proceeds to translate with a good
basis. He returns A1b_es.txt and the process is once again complete.

Luistxo