nuxeo-localizer

Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] Re: New line of development

From: Luistxo Fernandez
Subject: Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] Re: New line of development
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:58:23 +0200

>You know that the message catalog can be exported and imported to
>and from PO files. This means that translators could work offline,
>something they can't do with LocalContent objects, and use PO editors
>with an interface nice than the MessageCatalog one.

Translators that I know don´t use po editors. And the translator density per sq
km round here in the Basque Country is quite big.

po files (and their editors) have proven good when localizing software. They
are apt for interface msgs.

But content at large is very different from interface msgs. Localizer
distinguishes them both very nicely now, with LocalContent and the
MessageCatalogs...

When translating bigger documents, content at large, the translator deals with
a coherent document. Maybe only 15% of an updated document needs re-translating
but nobody orders "translate me these 15 messages, please". Translating
according to your vision would be like that: only unstranslated paragraphs
would appear to the translator.

But document-translating does not work that way. Instead, the translator gets
this order: "translate me this document, but, hey, 85% of it was previously
traslated so don´t dream about the bill". The translator has to use either a
memory he has previously made, or gets that memory altogether with the order.

He only has to translate 15%, but deals with the whole document.

---
There´s another big difference between interface messages and content at large.

Interface messages are specific to a website, while content at large may just
be the same as (or an adapted version of) documentation that the
web-organisation manages in other channels.

That´s why structured text is so useful in Zope. You may have textual
documentation for publishing reports (in Word), making presentations, sending
emails, publishing leaflets... and easily convert that into HTML content
through structured text. To get nice HTML pages in your dynamic Zope site,
there´s an easy way: no need to learn Dreamweaver or HTML syntax, just keep
using your word processor.

I envision a similar easy approach to manage multilingual content. If the
web-organisation produces multilingual documentation, it probably does that not
just for web publishing, but for all of its channels. So, I want to say to our
customers: no need to learn KBabel, just keep using Wordfast and translation
memories.

>Wordfast is for Word documents, not all the content are Word documents,
>fortunately.
>
>(...)
>But not everything are word documents, what I do with my HTML? I can't
>use WordFast, I'm not going to buy a tool from a propietary software
>vendor.

Wordfast provides much of the features of Trados, but it costs 0 euros instead
of 4000 or so. Yes, it works over MS Word (Win or Mac), but it can handle text
at large, not just Word documents.

Luistxo