[Octal-dev] suggested features

From: Guenter Seethaler
Subject: [Octal-dev] suggested features
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 20:55:06 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi to all!

I compose music with trackers since the AMIGA time.
Now I'm using folloing software on Win98:
BUZZ
ImpulseTracker 2.14
Cubase V3.553
WaveLab V2.0

Each of this programms have their advantages/dissadvantages.
What i want is a mixture of all these programms.
Since i didn't found one, i started to write by myself in Delphi4.
The main design is pretty close to that of OCTAL.

So far i have the output, two machines(Drum, Bass), the mixers and one track for
each channel running.
And there is a Development GUI for editing the track-notes and changing the
machineparameters and mixer Volume/Pan.
(if anyone wants the source/binary feel free to contact me:
address@hidden -- running just on WIN9x)

After playing with this little tool there is one conclusion: The
machine interface is the most importend module of the hole thing.
Some ideas:

VARIABLE MACHINE PARAMETERS:
think of an volume/pan/frequency...  envelope.
it would be fine for the user to add/delete points to the envelope at runtime.
so we need some sort of variable parameter.
this is also usefull for a sine-wave-generator with  "over waves" -
(sorry my english is not the best, but i guess you now what i mean).

VIRTUAL MACHINES:
the user can connect some machines and create a new machine of this
set.
this virtual machine acts like a normal machine. plus it also can be
used in other virtual machines.
For Example:

                VIRTUAL MACHINE
             ------------------------
             |  sine-wave-generator |
             |          |           |
             |    Volume envelope   |
             |          |           |
             |       filter         |
             ------------------------

MIXDOWN MACHINES TRACKS PATTERNS :
Softwaresynthesis consumes lots of cpu-power. (i have 166Mhz Pentium).
So there is always a compromise between
the number of Machines and the Quality of them.
To work around these problems we can mixdown tracks, patterns and
sequences to waves.

The Sequence Editor:
I think of an editor you now from MIDI-sequencers. But instead of this
unuseable note editor, we use a tracker interface.

This leads me to the idea of using an event triggerd synthesizer. The
advantage of this: you can have an midi-interface. But i don't know
yet how to realize that.

WIDGETSTYPES:
MULTISWITCH: this thing has 2 to n states. each state has a text-description to
know the actual state.
Example: Filter: LOW MID HIGH

Thats for now (got to go home),  but there is a lot more to discuss.

happy hacking
   Magus