Re: [Octal-dev] suggested features

From: dave
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] suggested features
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:00:54 -0400

> I think a better approach would be a hard-disk-recording plugin (which
> can also work from memory) which can play patterns that you've
> pre-recorded (and perhaps edited/effected with a sound editor?). Doing
> automatic, transparent "pre-recording of patterns" isn't interesting
> enough to justify redesigning/complexifying the engine.

Just thought of this:

Having an HD/memory recorder module would also allow us to do more than
just play back pre-recorded synth patterns; we could use live and studio
material (vox, instrumentalists) inside the tracker, without just
sampling everything. That means when you press play, the HD-plugin would
start playing right in the middle of where it's supposed to be, without
having to wait for a note to trigger the sample (as happens if you try
to import vox into a tracker now.)